So my mom found a recipe for these egg cups/muffins soon after my diagnosis, but they included a layer of crescent roll around the outside. I tried to sub gf homemade biscuit batter, but the results were not good. Think a gloopy, sticky mess that refused to cook all the way through. Gross. Luckily, that disaster encouraged me to try the recipe sans biscuit and these were the result! Lately, I’ve seen variations of these egg cups (or egg muffins) all over Pinterest and my sister tried one from http://www.thebiggestloser.com, but here’s how I make mine:
- six eggs or, for healthier egg cups, a dozen egg whites
- twelve medium slices of deli meat (I luuurve ham, especially Boar’s Head Pesto Parmesan Ham, so that is usually my choice, but these are pretty good made with turkey too! In a pinch I’ve even made them with roast beef.)
- finely chopped veggies–I like onion, peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms
- 1/2 C. goat cheese (optional, and you can sub in another cheese if you’d prefer)
- dab of coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- use coconut oil to lightly grease muffin tin
- place a slice of deli meat in each cup of the muffin tin so that it acts as a liner
- place a small scoop of chopped veggies and goat cheese inside each deli meat cup
- in a small bowl, stir eggs together with a fork and add salt and pepper to taste
- Bake egg cups for 15 minutes
- Allow muffin pan to cool and then pull finished egg cups out. Store in a tupperware container in the fridge.
My husband especially loves these in the mornings. I’ll make a whole batch on Sundays and he’ll eat them throughout the week. I add a little salsa and Sriracha in with the mixed veggies for him, since he likes his spicy!